Sunday, May 15, 2011

Holden and Religon..

In chapter 14, Holden mentions religion and disciples.
One night, when he is going to bed after reliving guilt about Allie, he feels like praying but says he's kind of an atheist because he didn't like the disciples. According to him they were "about as much use to Him as a hole in the head."(pg 99) After reading the preceding 14 chapters I wasn't surprised about him being an atheist. It seems to me that of all the things Holden finds phony, a lot of Jesus's followers like the disciples and ministers and stuff would fall under that category. 
His attitude when explaining this seems normal for him and I think that he mentioned it because throughout the book he hasn't really hidden anything from the readers or kept anything out. Readers of Catcher in the Rye read all of his thoughts. 

I think that Holden is an atheist because everyone in his family is. Not everyone but most kids end up in the same religious denomination as their parents. I think that this is kind of relatable to teens because I think a lot of people have their doubts about God and whether or not everything in the bible is true and that you should live by it. I think that what Holden is thinking and feeling is normal because a lot of other people think this way too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment