Sunday, May 15, 2011

Holden and the Museum

One of my favorite parts of chapters 16-18 was when Holden was in the museum. It was when he was the happiest and it was interesting to actually see him happy for once. He didn't call anything phony or annoying or crumby. 
What the scene really showed about Holden is that he really hates change. He loved seeing the eskimos doing the same thing every time he came, the birds frozen in flight, and the same pottery still in those glass cases. 
"The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody’d move. . . . Nobody’d be different. The only thing that would be different would be you." He remarked that nothing had changed except himself. Going into a museum where everything is alway the same made him notice more how he had changed. 
With regard to how I think the rest of the book will go: I think that Holden's adversity to change will make it very difficult for him to have relationships and friendships with other people because everyone changes. If he can't handle that then he will be alone. 

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree. That is basically what I wrote for my reflection of those cahpters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well! And I wrote about this for my memorable post. I think that it also relates to his whole childhood to adulthood struggles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. I think that he has such a hard time dealing with change because of how much change he had to deal with in the past. First his brother, Allie died. Then his other brother moved away. Jane moved away. To make it all worse his parents sent him away to live at a boarding school. If you think about it, that is a lot of change for a young person to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you hit it on the mark, Nettie. If he cannot accept the fact that people change as they fall into adulthood, he will end up alone. He has to learn to adapt, like the fish in the pond!

    ReplyDelete